Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Autobiography

My name is Victor Torres. I am the youngest of 3 siblings. I live at home with my mother Juana Torres and my sister Kiara Torres and I have another sister who does not live with me anymore named Mindry Watley. I previously attended Hudson County Community College and now am currently attending New Jersey City University, where I am majoring in Criminal Justice, and minoring in psychology. I plan on changing my major to Paralegal Studies and keeping Criminal Justice as a minor. Growing up in a house full of women and being the youngest was tough, but it comes with its perks. Living under these conditions help me understand women and respect them the way they deserve to be respected.
When I was young I was a trouble maker and very disobedient in school. I enjoyed the thrill and the reputation that came with everything I did. I experienced my first run in with failure when I was in the fifth grade. I got left back and and was confused as to why. I realized I did not do my homework and did not notice how much of an effect homework really had on my overall grade. When I found out I was not advancing to the 6th grade with all of my friends, I felt terrible and was trying to do anything to pass, but there was nothing the administration could do as they explained that I had brought this on myself. I then took the bad and made it good by learning from my mistakes and doing what I had to do in order to prevent that from happening again.
As a kid I played a lot of sports. I played organized basketball, baseball and football. Everyday after school I would go to the basketball courts and play all day until the night. I played for my grammar school in the 8th grade the previous years injuries had prevented me from playing. In my 8th grade year me alongside two other captains took the team to the championships and won it. That was my first brush with greatness. The feeling was great, and made me very happy and proud to be part of something so good and enjoyable.
In the same year I won the basketball I completed another great accomplishment at the time. 8th grade graduation was huge at the time. The day of graduation, I was very nervous and proud because my mother was very happy and proud to see me graduate considering she never had the chance for an education. After graduation I celebrated and was very anxious to start high school. I had never been in an in a high school before and was looking forward to the opportunity to step foot inside and be a high school student.
After my championship game in the 8th grade, many high school coaches came up to me and told me to go play for their schools. I decided to stay local and play but before the freshman season started I kept getting injured and had trouble staying healthy. It was there that I decided to stop playing sports and pursue an education instead. Not being able to play sports on a competitive level anymore made me feel anger because that was one of the few things I really enjoyed doing.


 In high school was when I really encountered the real heavy party life. That was when I would party excessively and almost nonstop. There was one party I went to in the Edison school pool. A friend of mine who was a lifeguard there had the key to the place and opened it after hours. I went to the pool and was having a good time until the police came in and arrested everyone there. When those handcuffs locked on my wrist, I thought my future was over. They took us in for processioning and booked us. We spent the night incarcerated and were released in the morning. By the next day it was all over the paper and I had my own paragraph in the paper. The judge made us do twelve hours of community serves and they would drop the thing as if it never happened. After that I decided to be clean and do the best I could in school. After I graduated high school, I made the decision to come to HCCC because I thought it would be a good way to save money considering I want to go to law school after college.

No comments:

Post a Comment