Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Feminism, Advertisement and Edward Bernay

                                     Feminism and Advertisement

             My semester project will be on the advancement of advertisement and propaganda and its affect on women past, present and future. I want to discuss how certain groups such as the Feminism movement with the First and Second wave, were so affected by the growth in visual media. This would involve a timeline in which I document the progression of visual advertisement as a form of propaganda and as a form of activism. Also relevant is how the movement was furthered encouraged by Edward Bernay. I especially want to bring up the pro's and con's that derived from Bernay's version of advertisement.

               My goal is to show how media has changed with the involvement of behavioral psychology and how this in turn has affected women in their psyche and physical body. Furthermore, I will use my extreme distaste for the man to show how he has partially altered the existence in which are live in currently. More so, I will give actual instances that prove that Bernay did in fact ruin my present as well as the future we seek to reach towards.
            The fact that he is related to Sigmund Freud and is his nephew, he still will remain, in my eyes, as an individual who managed to screwed up everyone's individuality by associating it with physical, materialistic things.  His involvement in the media was key in affecting the way visual images stimulate people each day. There have been books filled simply discussing his ideas and theories in regards to people as a mob mentality. As a corporation I would have loved it, as in individual I feel great disdain. This sense of disgust is perfect in further dissecting the ways Bernay is the guilty party that revolutionized the way media functions.

              However, although I may not feel inclined to praise or feel gratitude, I feel the need to point out the many activist parities did advance because the media became more focused on sending messages to a crowd. This is where propaganda comes to mind. Whether it was borrowed or not, Bernay has to be recognized as someone who drastically affected women to this day. Feminism has changed the way we perceive women and equal rights today. I feel quite keenly towards expressing just how much Bernay helped the movement.                                  
     
     

2 comments:

  1. I think that you would really like this article about advertising and feminism -> http://www.thewatchdogonline.com/mad-women-advertising-and-feminism-22958

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out https://youtu.be/tCjIYih0lMk

    ReplyDelete