Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Who do you think you are?

As a single mother of two children, 5 and 10 years old, I find it extremely hard to protect my children from seeing inappropriate subjects due to the media, both social media and regular media. Nowadays the media is everywhere and has taken over our lives. Though it is easy to blame the media for my children gaining knowledge of certain information, it is my fault as well. In the car I have the radio on, at home I may watch the news (which I try not to do around the kids) and I am guilty of checking Facebook periodically throughout the day. Since my children are constantly over my shoulder, the catch glimpses of news clips and gossip, which the media LOVES to spread.
I must be honest, there was a point where I was on Facebook all of the time, and I actually began to feel my kids becoming a bit disconnected from me. When I felt this disconnection, at first, I thought it was because I had went back to school and wasn’t able to read them their bedtime stories every night as I once did. But then one day my daughter looked at me and said “ hm, you’re on Face book AGAIN I see”. My response was, “well if you’re playing or reading I can have some ‘me’ time”. But then I began to think. Those are not the only times that I was on social media. I began to be more aware of my time spent on both my telephone and social media, and instantly felt my kids not being distant with me anymore. I couldn’t believe that I had become THAT mother!
Not only was I not paying as much attention to my kids, I found myself feeling more depressed than usual. Granted in was going through a divorce, so I was already pretty down. But onto of that, every time I was on Facebook, I would see everyone with their families, and I felt like now mine was a broken family. I became irritable and felt very low about myself. Until I realized just because the kids dad was no longer there, doesn’t mean there was something wrong with my family, it was just 1 person less. I had to learn how to appreciate all of the little thongs, and realize that media and social media paints pictures for people, but you make your in control of painting your own picture according to your own life. I learned to stop putting my self in the mold that the media was telling me to put myself in, and appreciate what I had with my beautiful babies. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-perpetua-neo/does-facebook-make-you-de_b_8474654.html)
Social media, or media for that matter, may not only distance one from their families, but from all the images that one sees constantly being thrown at them, one may become distant with themselves. You tend to loose a sense of your self and even self worth at times. I know for me, when I see all of these images of what beauty is supposed to look like, I feel fat and ugly. I’ve struggled with eating disorders and have purchased expensive makeup and diet pills, because I never felt like I looked “good enough”.
The media is constantly drilling, dreams, ideas, desires etc. into our heads, and we eat it all up! For example, they have made this election into an absolute scepticle of a circus. As an American I am absolulty embaressed for all parties involved. Donald trump is an unqualified, unkind, horrific person who is glorified by the media. They eat every littlee stupid word up that comes out of that mans mouth. The other night I was watching the Jimmy Fallon showand Trump was being interviwed by him. Jimmy Fallon always makes fun of that ignorant man and makes it clear how full of crap tump is. But that night, he was joking with Trump and making him look like a really cool guy. I was horrified! Needless to say, Ive officially boycotted the Jimmy Fallon show and everything he is associated with. But honestly, what good is that going to do when so many people In the media don’t realy care about the election, they just care about how many viewers and followers they can get.

The Media plays a big part in how we see the world and intern how we see ourselves. Though it is, that’s the truth. And until people stop allowing the media to take total control of their lives and start to have a mind and an opinion of their own again, its only going to get worse. This society needs to open their eyes and realize what is going o, and put a sop to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment