Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Jenny Holzer

In Jenny Holzer's collection "Inflammatory essays' she has this certain tone that she gives off; a very independent, strong, confident tone. In the Brooklyn Museum's agitprop, they write an article about only one of her poems, but Holzer has dozens of different one's that are just as interesting and empowering. In the specific one posted in agitprop, I wasn't necessarily sure on how to interpret her poem. But, after several times of carefully reading it, I had a feeling she was talking about feminism in a sense. The opening line to her poem was, "Don't talk down to me. Don't be polite to me. Don't make me feel nice." From this I can gather that Jenny Holzer is very independent. She doesn't need anyone helping, worrying, or taking care of her. 



As for Holzers other essays(poems), she prints them all on bright colored paper. I believe she does this to connect to the readers emotions. All of these colors are very attention grabbing and it makes the reader wonder what it's about. Although Holzer doesn't specify the issue she writes about in her poems, she writes about empowering issues that she thinks need to be heard about. Another poem from Holzer that really caught my attention is, (the one posted below)

Probably what caught my attention from this poem was her opening line, "Ruin your fucking self before they do." Automatically, her expressive writing makes me want to keep reading because I can already tell she's mad and has something important to say. What i love about Jenny Holzer is that she's so open; she isn't afraid to say whats on her mind. What i've interpreted from this second poem is basically not to do anything for anyone else.    "They'll keep you alive, but you'll have to crawl and say thank you for every bone they throw…….If the rich guys want to play with you, make them get their hands dirty." This is also an example of her being independent, she's saying to stick up for yourself, and fight for your rights. Out of what i've read from Holzer's poems, I feel as if one of her main points is to stay strong, and fight for yourself. 
(Jenny Holzer’s “Inflammatory Essays,” as displayed at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Barcelona)

No comments:

Post a Comment