Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Ability to Be Me

    Samantha Garcia       

Each morning as I wait by the bus I take note of the people there. A majority are still and not entirely awake, some partially sleepy but even so, most of them are on their phones. They could be reading, listening to music, catching up on news or what ever else they like to do. It's just amazing how such a small device holds millions of apps, apps that give access to more involved media like Instagram, Twitter, Tumbler, Facebook, Snap Chat, and etc. It's a crazy world out there living in a hurricane of social media and I feel like I sit within the center, watching out from the eye of the storm. 
          My role in media consumption consist of music and information. I prefer to absorb what interest me and I know I am not the only one. Apps like Spur-lo and Etsy are good places to find pictures, quotes, ideas, and advice. I like learning about things like getting out of zip ties or how to light a fire using petroleum jelly and drier lint. Things that are not taught unless you find out by yourself. For that, I thank Pintrest.
          I've learned about stuff the same way everyone else does: through networking. There are many people who experience information first hand but nowadays information is shared digitally. A majority of what I see comes from the news and social media. Whether or not I agree with media, a lot of the actions I am expected to do are placed there by them. This generation is basically run by technology.
          However, though I believe that we all pick who we wish to be from the start, the shape of our character is based off what we are shown and media plays a large role in that: Movies, books, magazines, music, and music videos, the list is endless. So much goes on underneath what society gives us. It isn’t simple to say that you are unmarked in a world that has so vividly marked you. I am as marked as anyone else simply by the images I take in. I am a consumer because I do use apps such as snap chat, whats-up and Pinterest to communicate with people, be it through images, words or emoji’s. The mentioned “who” is always in question. No one really knows the other person, not unless they’ve had their soul dissected and observed since they were born. We show only what we want to show. 
A majority of our experiences are showed online or through verbal knowledge. That’s why some places have certain phrases or proverbs we don’t understand. We aren’t as close to them in phrases but even so, places like Britain and Australia still share the same information as us. They know what this side of the world knows even if it isn’t current at the same time. Each generation has grown up under the perception that they are what people make of them. I do not know how many people believe this but I'd say a good amount do. As children, we all experience similar anxieties to fit in. It's now that we are older that we would like to, in fact, fit out, if that is even a word. 
      As an individual I would like to say I created my person without the help of anyone or anything but I have to give some credit to media.  While I may not agree with the views society has created for the youth of this generation I admit it has played a role in advertising information around the world.
 
         It would be wishful thinking to perceive myself as something other than a consumer, but though I may be one I would like to believe that my inputs will one day be just as effective in shaping some one else's life. Who knows, maybe I'll be the one putting up news.   
          Go on this link to find out more about apps like pintrest, https://www.netdiggers.com/sites-like-pinterest-alternatives/

No comments:

Post a Comment