Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Who do you think you are?

         I believe that in today’s society, any young adult is in some way forced into having a role in media consumption. We are living in a time full of technology where everything can be seen through the media. It is all around us, and it is quite hard to avoid. I don’t like to think that I am forced to be a part of something like the media, instead, I prefer to accept it as a part of my life. Music is one of the branches of media where I do view myself as a consumer. Not only do I listen to the radio occasionally, I also buy music and stream it every day. As a big fan of all kinds of music, I do consider myself somewhat of a critic. When it comes to new releases or discovering music, I do tend to follow news and trends about the music.
           
As mentioned before, it is hard not to become a part of the media without wanting to. Everything has become more commercial, and it will continue to if the technology is present. When it comes to my personal interests, I find it easy to follow my interest along with the media. Considering that technology is moving at a rapid rate, it is simultaneously dragging the media with it. A big example of how technology and the media are working together is by introducing new lines of smartphones. A famous brand of smartphone is the iPhone, which has made a huge impact on mobile technology along with the media. It has made such a big impact that it managed to produce a large number of consumers.


      When it comes to smartphones, as a young adult, social media has played a big role in my everyday life. For example, the use of applications like Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram are just a few that have made a big impact. I believe it's fine to say that over the past few years, the media has changed my life in a positive way. I view my relationship with the media to be anything but a positive one. I also understand that there might be a few older people who think that the media is the cause of corruption in society, and I can’t say that their opinion is wrong. There have been moments when negative things were tied into social media, and it is something that should not be ignored. 
      
 There have also been many moments when the media has covered activism, acts of resistance, and protest. I believe that the ones who are a part of media, those being politicians and celebrities, have done many things to support different rights. I have been a whiteness of celebrities who use their power in the media to support those who are on the receiving side of the media. 

      Artist and celebrities such as Lady Gaga who is an activist for equality, or Ellen DeGeneres who supports animal rights are examples that it is possible to use the media for protest. I think if there are politicians or celebrities who use their fame within the media, we could start to view the media as a better place to cover activism and acts of protest. The relationship might seem odd to some, but if the message gets across then there is no need to worry about having to follow the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment